Friday, February 15, 2008

We've opened Pandora's Box



Recently a friend of mine recommended an amazing site, its called Pandora. It's internet radio that you customize to your musical tastes. You start by putting in one of your favorite songs or artists, and then Pandora plays new songs you may like. You can continue to add artists or songs you like and you can rate the songs Pandora plays. When you give a song the "thumbs down" Pandora just moves on (no sense in listening to music you don't like). Its amazingly smart!

If this all sounds like something you've heard before, it isn't. The thing that makes Pandora so cool is that it uses a very complicated algorithm based on 400 musical attributes to find simalarites between artists and songs. This is different from other "If you like so-and-so, other people like this" type recommendations that rarely seem to have any relevance. So while you're out cruising the net planning your wedding, give Pandora a try and create a staion for yourself.

For more geeky info on how this works check this out: http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/pandora.htm

-Mike

3 comments:

  1. Mike this Rocks I found this over on Fred Egan's blog the other day and bookmarked right away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great meeting the both of you at the Pug the other night hope to see you at a lot more. Kate keep everyone updated on the baby. So exciting, just don't give my wife Kate baby fever :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:28 PM

    Hey Mike & Kate, Emmie & soon-to-be born baby #2!! I gave Pandora a listen the day after you told me about it, Mike, and I have to say I'm sold. It's incredible! I've already told pretty much everyone I work with, plus Dan and his students about it. It's a pretty incredible program - Kudos to Marie. I already have my list of new songs and artists that I've been made aware of from this project, and that I can't wait to find more information on and music by! So thanks. By the way...I'm in love with the photos you both take. I spent a good 45 minutes tonight just checking everything out. They're pretty incredible. Ook - I think that's all for my first ever blog entry! Good luck with baby #2!! Can't wait to see the pictures. Lots of love -
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete